RECENT NEWS: Islanders agree to terms with prospect Matt Martin.....Isles and Canes swap prospects, acquire Bobby Hughes......DiPietro "right on schedule"......

Monday, December 17, 2007

Simon Leaves Team

First off, don't take this as meaning he is literally LEAVING the team. He is taking time off to basically, think about his wrongs.

Formally called a "Time Out".


(tsn.ca)

"The New York Islanders and veteran forward Chris Simon have agreed that time away from the team is needed to come to terms with his recent on-ice behavior and potentially, his playing future.

Simon's future should become a little clearer on Tuesday, when he is expected to meet with NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell in Toronto.

Islanders owner Charles Wang met Simon earlier Monday to discuss the direction best suited to provide Simon with the support he deserves.

Simon has been granted time away from the team to seek counselling, or any other method to help restore his career.

"The Islanders and I agree that the right thing to do is for me to take some time away from the team" said Simon in a prepared statement.



"I have enjoyed a long career achieving my dream of being a player in the National Hockey League and I'm proud of my accomplishments. But I acknowledge that time and assistance is needed before I return to the game."

Wang also met with Islanders general manager Garth Snow, head coach Ted Nolan, captain Bill Guerin, the alternate captains and goaltender Rick DiPietro to discuss the matter.

"The actions of Chris Simon on Saturday do not reflect what the New York Islanders stand for. They were reckless, potentially dangerous and against our team concept of grit, character and heart," said Islanders owner Charles Wang.

"We know Chris as a respected teammate and as a gracious man away from the playing surface and believe strongly that he has earned our continued support. The Islanders are going to provide some time for Chris away from the team and give him the counseling he needs and the compassion he deserves. When Chris is completely ready, he will be a member of our team again."

The meetings stem from Simon's actions on Saturday night where he purposely stomped on Jarkko Ruutu's leg.

Simon was assessed a match penalty and awaits further discipline from the NHL.

"I want to start off by making clear that there is no excuse for my actions on Saturday night and I apologize to everyone involved," Simon added.

A breakdown of Simon's 7 previous suspensions:

- 25 games for a high stick on Ryan Hollweg
- 2 games for kneeing Sergei Zubov
- 2 games for cross checking Ruslan Fedotenko
- 2 games for elbowing Anders Eriksson
- 1 playoff game for cross checking Peter Popovic
- 3 games for verbal comments directed at Mike Grier
- 5 games for slashing Dennis Vial "



(islanders.nhl.com)

This afternoon, the New York Islanders released the following pair of statements from owner Charles Wang and veteran forward Chris Simon. As the statements indicate, Simon has been granted some time away from the team.


From Charles Wang:

"The actions of Chris Simon on Saturday do not reflect what the New York Islanders stand for. They were reckless, potentially dangerous and against our team concept of grit, character and heart.

"We know Chris as a respected teammate and as a gracious man away from the playing surface and believe strongly that he has earned our continued support. The Islanders are going to provide some time for Chris away from the team and give him the counseling he needs and the compassion he deserves. When Chris is completely ready, he will be a member of our team again."


From Chris Simon:

"I want to start off by making clear that there is no excuse for my actions on Saturday night and I apologize to everyone involved.

"The Islanders and I agree that the right thing to do is for me to take some time away from the team. I have enjoyed a long career achieving my dream of being a player in the National Hockey League and I’m proud of my accomplishments. But I acknowledge that time and assistance is needed before I return to the game.

"I want to thank the Islanders for providing the environment for me to become a better player and person, and our fans for their support along the way."


The call up of Comeau will likely be to replace Simon.


Let's Go Isles!!!

No comments: