RECENT NEWS: Islanders agree to terms with prospect Matt Martin.....Isles and Canes swap prospects, acquire Bobby Hughes......DiPietro "right on schedule"......

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Protesting The Schedule

There was nothing that irritated me more the past few weeks than taking a peek at the Islanders schedule, and only seeing 1 or 2 games per week.

Now, things will start to kick up. We are playing back-to-back games for the next 6 weeks, so we should have more than enough hockey to watch. That is my whole point. I'd love to have a more evened out schedule. There really is no reason to be pushing these guys to playing 5 or 6 games a week so early in the season. It is completely unnecessary. Push the players hard in the playoffs. Not this early.

It isn't an excuse at all to say that these games make up for all the days that they could have played earlier in the season. I really don't understand why someone could think that. It's really good to hear that Bettman is doing a complete overhaul of the schedule, though.

That was just the first part of it. Of course, I'm extremely exciting to see the Isles and Rangers square off at the Garden tomorrow night. But when you think about it,this is the third time we are playing against them already. And it's only the 17 game. That is the same thing with the rest of our division. We played the Devils 3 times in the first 16. And the Penguins and Flyers 2 times each in the first 16. So, that is 10 of the 1st 17 games against our own division.

I really can't wait for more games in the Northeast and Southeast. And how about some games in the west? That will be very enjoyable.

I'm not trying to focus this on only the Isles, though. A bunch of other teams are having this problem. The Red Wings are actually having some empty seats now because they have the same teams in town all of the time. There really has to be something done about this. It is no more enjoyable for the players as it is for the fans.

I guess I picked the perfect time to complain about this. 12 of our next 14 games are against teams that aren't in our division. And the 2 other ones are against the Rangers, which wouldn't create a decrease of excitement.

Phew. Just had to get that off my back. I'm pretty sure a lot of you agree with me, though.


Let's Go Isles!!!

No comments: